The museum of Chios was constructed between 1966 and 1971 in an area of 2500 sq meters. It comprises some exhibition rooms, which cover an area of 1200 sq. meters, storerooms, workshops and offices.The structure is built of concrete and is surrounded by stone retaining walls due to the inclination of the ground.
The museum was closed down on May 18th, 1987, because the damaged structure of the building due to the inclination of the ground. Today, a stone retaining wall surround the building and a project for "the drainage of the plot, the reinforcement of the retaining walls and repairs of the fence of the Museum of Chios" started in 1995 to fix the stability problems of the building before the 20th Ephorate. The works were completed during 1998 and the museum was open to the public in November 1999.
The museum contains collections of prehistoric and archaic findings from excavations of the British School in Emborios, Neolithic findings of the British excavations in Aghio Galas, Archaic and Classical findings from the British excavations in Fana and various findings from the salvage excavations conducted by the 20th Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities in Chios. Also very interesting is the Letter of Alexander the Great to the Chians.
The Archaeological Museum of Chios was nominated for the 2001 European Museum of the Year Award within a group of 120 European museums and 39 selected nominees.
Click here to listen to our broadcasting about the Archeological Museum of Chios!
Daily: 08.00 - 19.00 (Closed on Mondays during the winter)
10 Michalon St., Chios 82100 (near the harbour).
+30 271 44239